Friday, July 22, 2016

Tough Questions









My youngest son was distraught about a week ago. He was concerned with death and how the world was going to end. He told me his step-mother told him God would destroy the world with fire. This thought must have kept playing over and over in his mind and as he was speaking I sensed a meltdown coming. All of a sudden he grabbed my arm and started crying saying over and over how he didn't want to die. 

I was at a loss for words. Sometimes, as a parent, I want to tell my son that the world is full of sunshine and rainbows but we all know that isn't true. The world is what we make of it and what we take from it. My heart was breaking for him because he was genuinely terrified. So, I told him that he was not going to die today and neither was I. I told him I was going to try to live to be an old woman. He abruptly told me I needed to stop smoking or that wasn't going to happen and I laughed out loud. He is, of course, right and calls life as he sees it. He asked me that if he was generally a good person then that meant that life would be good to him and he wouldn't have bad karma come to visit him because he was good. I told him "Absolutely". 

Once we got home, he was okay and the meltdown was over and he started watching youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment