Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Social Media & Fame






Over the weekend I watched a movie about blogging and I could relate to it a bit because I am a blogger. The theme of the movie was this young girl was writing a blog about her sex life and she was being brutally honest, giving names, details, dates, etc. By the end of the movie she is pregnant and she doesn't know what to do. Then you come to the final scene and it shows her getting into the bathtub to take a bath and the screen goes black, but the movie is not over. Her mother begins to type on her daughter's blog and begins to explain her daughter received a one minute phone call the night before she disappeared and she is reaching out to those in the blogger community wanting help to find her daughter. The audience finds out that the young girl is way younger than what you actually think she is, and she has, of course, changed some details about the people she wrote about so that if one of her readers tried to contact her personally they wouldn't be able to find her exactly. 

Anyway, this movie really made me think. Why do I write this blog? Why do I want my voice to be heard? Is it true that everyone wants to be famous? (I have a confession to make.....when I was a young girl, even a young adult for that matter, I dreamed of being a famous singer. Alas, I have a good alto voice but how many great altos do you know? Every great alto wishes they were a soprano! I must not have wanted it bad enough, because I did a few competitions and things but life got in the way and that was that.) What is our fascination with the way everyone else lives their lives? 

I write because I need to. People get tired of hearing about others problems so I decided to start writing so I could get them off my chest. I had no idea I would gain followers or that anyone would understand what I was going through, but people did understand. I hope to be able to reach people that I can't otherwise reach with the writing of this blog. To me, this is a creative outlet. Somewhere that I am safe to say what I want, how I want, how much I want and when I want because there is freedom in that. 

As a society, we have all watched things change over the years. I remember when the news and people in general wanted someone who fell from grace to be publicly shamed. There have been Televangelist falling from grace, politicians whose private lives were exposed and it is all caught on camera for us to watch over and over again on youtube. I have noticed on my facebook feed stories of "hope and inspiration" where a random person helps an officer or someone helps the homeless. When you help people that are less fortunate than you are, you do not do it for the glory, you do it because it is the right thing to do. I am beginning to think those stories are staged so we don't get discouraged with all the fighting and killing that is going on in the world today or I could be wrong.  Keep your eyes open on your news feed on facebook, you will see what I am talking about. 

Back to the lecture at hand.....Why do you write a blog? Do you want to be famous? Is it a creative outlet for you? Please share in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment