Friday, June 10, 2016

Hope



As you all know, my youngest son is on the Autism Spectrum. I have been having long discussions with him lately telling him that he needs to talk with me and tell me how he feels about what is going on in his world. 

For as long as I can remember he calls me by my name. He doesn't call me Mom, Mama or Mommy. I have never quite understood this but I have come to accept it is his way and I'm okay with that. I used to think it was because I took care of his needs like food, carrying him somewhere, cooking, etc. I would attempt to love on him but he would always hug me sideways or he would really hug me with his back to me. Anyway....

My son will be in middle school next year and I am nervous about it so we are working on his reading and counting money this summer. He can read and his math skills are great but I want him to be prepared for this huge transition. I will be contacting the school before the beginning of his 6th grade year so we can all get on the same page about what he and they can expect. 

His teacher sent me this picture the other day. At the end of the year they went roller skating. He didn't tell me anything about it, he never really talks about his day but it makes my heart sing. To me when I see this picture, he is there in the moment trying something new and my heart soars with love and hope for his future. 






No comments:

Post a Comment