Friday, March 4, 2016

Time to put them down!

Eleven years ago I did something that I said I would NEVER do, I started smoking.  Since then it has become a habit that I just can't seem to put down!!

Before I started I can remember telling my husband that it wasn't as hard as he thought it would be to quit; but now I know differently! :)

About 4 1/2  years ago he went to the ER with chest pains; thankfully, it had nothing to do with his heart!  However, he did decide to quit smoking and I was amazed at how easy it appeared to be for him.  I guess the fear over-rode the want for a cigarette!

Lately, I have had a cold that I just can't seem to shake and I know that cigarettes have a lot to do with my congestion, and coughing!  A few days ago I was thinking about quitting and actually waited about 3 hours to go to the store to get a pack.  During these hours it was amazing how easier it was to breath and that I didn't cough any during that time.  However, as soon as I lit one up on the way home I started coughing and was all stuffed up again. UGH it is so frustrating knowing that these things are causing this; yet, I still don't have the drive to put them down!!  BUT... I have to do this for my health; and I am tired of smelling like a cigarette!

A while back I purchased the Nicotine Transdermal System (Step 1 & 2), but I haven't started using the patches yet (for some reason).

My husband is like a anti-smoking commercial (lol) and  is always telling me that I smell like an ash-tray when I get near him after having a cigarette.  The kids have also made comments about how much the cigarettes stink & my youngest tells me often how bad they are for me (things she learned in health class).  I know it would be better for me & everyone else if I quit; and I could save a lot of money, but I just don't know if I have what it takes!?

Since my husband quit smoking he has gained about 45 pounds because he says that food tastes and smells so much better; and he is bored and I think he eats more because of it.  I've already gained the weight I lost about 2 years ago back and I just don't want to take a chance of gaining even more because I quit smoking!  I have to have something to replace this habit with, but I have no idea what that would be!!  Any ideas?

As of this minute I want to put them down ....  but I have to get a plan in place!

Starting this week I am going to smoke outside.  This should help me cut back some, and this will be good because I am up to a pack and a half (if not more) a day lately.  Then, come Monday I am going to try to start using the patches some ... So, wish me luck!

Have you ever quit smoking?  If so, tell me below how you did it; and if you put on weight in the process!!  Thanks!!

~Ginny




No comments:

Post a Comment