Monday, February 29, 2016

Plus Size











What is it like to be a woman? Where did our negative self body images come from? Why do we give ourselves complexes about certain parts of our bodies? Why do we hate each other?

I like to joke with others that we women can contribute our downfall to Eve in the Garden of Eden. She had one rule, DO NOT eat the fruit from a certain tree but the serpent whispered in her ear and she gave in to temptation and caused Adam to be tempted as well. That is where our downfall began and the slope is more slippery now than ever before. 

To me, being a woman is cool, there is nothing else I'd rather be. I do have issues with my gender sometimes. Those things are cattiness, or labeling and plain judgment. We women judge each other a lot. The biggest characteristic we are judged on is weight. Why do we do that to each other? I was with my oldest son at the gas station one day when he was about 6 or 7 and he was pointing at a woman and laughing. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what he was doing, I thought she had a funny shirt on or something. When we walked out of the store and as I was climbing into my truck I realized what he was laughing at. He was laughing at her because she was extremely overweight and it was noticeable. I could have DIED on the spot and then I asked him what did he think he was doing laughing and pointing at her. He hung his head and I let him know that kind of behavior was not going to be accepted by me. I told him, he needed to be empathetic to people that society shuns because they don't look like or act like the "norm", because what is normal anyway?

This post has come about because of the hoopla surrounding the Sports Illustrated issue this year which will feature what the world refers to as a plus size model. Ashley Graham happens to be very beautiful and I think it is great she gets to grace the cover. She has been receiving backlash about how unhealthy it is to promote overweight women on the cover of a magazine. Cheryl Tiegs stated about two days ago it is unhealthy to have a waist size more than 35 inches and she tries to maintain that. But she did go on to say how beautiful Ashley's face is. This is the issue a lot of larger women face. People say to them "You have such a pretty face" and it is an insult. What? Nothing else about me is pretty? I have to be a size O so I can be worthy of any compliment? UUHHHHH! Below is footage of the video courtesy of youtube.



I get it. We do need to be healthy and try to exercise because if we don't, there are potential health problems down the road because of the weight. Ashley isn't morbidly obese though; at least she doesn't look like it to me.We should build each other up and not tear each other down as women. This is what Ms. Tiegs had to say today, because what she stated is being taken out of context according to her. 


Ladies, let's create a new world, one where we don't feel like we are each others competition. Once we began to build each other up, we can truly conquer the stereotypes, etc., that hold our gender down.




No comments:

Post a Comment