Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday


I have always been curious about Ash Wednesday and Lent but never really practiced giving up something I guess because I was raised Baptist and we didn't really acknowledge Lent only Easter. I like the idea that some people give up something they enjoy like chocolate or bread. The whole idea is that when Jesus was in the desert for forty days Satan tried to tempt him but did not succeed. 

What brings this topic up for me is an incident that happened at my place of employment today. So, this lady comes in and she pays for the law firms services and after speaking with her for a few minutes I noticed this gray smudge on her forehead. I didn't say anything at first, trying to pull info from the recesses of my brain, but I couldn't figure why she would have that smudge. Before she left, I told her she had some kind of gray smudge on her forehead and she laughed and said it's Ash Wednesday the day before lent. I felt so stupid but she laughed and we got to talking about Lent. She said she is Catholic and she is giving up chocolate for the next 40 days. 

What are you giving up for Lent? Does anyone practice this?

No comments:

Post a Comment