Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Gun Control

With so many shootings this year on College Campuses/schools there is even more talk than normal on Gun Control Laws.  Don't get me wrong, I believe that they could be a little stricter.. However.. no matter how hard it is to get one, if someone wants one bad enough they'll get one somehow-some way!

By stricter, I mean looking more into mental health backgrounds and flags when law enforcement has someone under suspicion of committing crimes of this manner (I know, easier said than done).

Mental Health issues in the Country have grown tremendously over the past few years.  Personally, I think that some mental health professionals need to step-it-up!!  I say this because my mom has a psychologist that she goes to every 6 months.  When she gets her health insurance statements, these appointments cost about $200 a pop (give or take) for an estimated 15 minute visit... Seriously!

Fist of all, this is too much for a visit and I can't even see what mood your in in 15 minutes!!  However, the past few visits, it has been a miracle to get at least 5... I'm sorry, but I don't think that you can access a patient and see if there is anything going on with them in this short amount of time!  What do you think?   I mean, it's like she's going to get a refill instead of an appointment.

If you have children that have mental health issues they shouldn't be using guns or having access to them, if they don't completely understand them!  (Just my opinion, feel free to express yours in the comments)  If you have children that will be handling or having access to guns, they should be taught gun safety & respect for guns.

Personally, I don't like guns but my husband is the "Total Outdoors-man" and he didn't get a son; so, he has raised our girls to love to hunt and fish.  When my oldest daughter was younger and started going hunting I was terrified of her handling a riffle.  BUT he started teaching her safety first from the beginning and enrolling her into a safety class once she was older.  At 17, she knows how to safely handle, carry, and respect a firearm better than a lot of grown-ups that I know!  Gun control starts at home, I believe!

I know that something has to be done to keep these mass shootings limited (hopefully eliminated), but I don't believe that it starts by taking guns away from everyone.  Maybe we should start by stepping up in mental heath situations and limiting access to those we know don't need to have access to them.  Education! Not all of us want to use them to harm someone else!!!

What are your thoughts?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment