Monday, June 15, 2015

I Hate Answering The Phone At Work

Some days I really hate my job! I am sure that there are a lot of people that have days like this. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a job but I just don't like it sometimes and I think that this is something everyone can relate to. 

First, I love being a NC State Bar Certified Paralegal. I absolutely hate answering the phone. I get to be a receptionist to go along with being a paralegal. People automatically assume that I am only a receptionist because I sit up front and answer the phone. I also prepare bankruptcy petitions, file bankruptcy petitions, prepare custody orders, draft divorce complaints, schedule appointments for both attorneys, and a whole lot more. 

Stop assuming that just because I sit at the front of this office and I greet you warmly, that I am just a secretary because I am so much more. I really think about putting my Bachelor's Degree in a bleeping frame and hanging it by my desk so there will be no question as to my job title or skill set. 

Like I said, I hate answering the phone, but I do get some funny calls sometimes. Got a call from a guy one day from Wisconsin and he started talking about a body that was in the basement. I quickly gave him the number to the lawyer referral line, the sad calls are the ones where the elderly call and talk about being stuck in a nursing facility because their family hates them or the phone calls where a spouse is running around. Those are the heartbreaking calls. The calls that piss me off most of the time are regular clients that call non-stop about their case. Calm down and let us do our job, nothing has changed in the last 24 hours and I promise I will call you if I have any new developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment