Monday, May 4, 2015

My Garden

This weekend, I took it upon myself to begin a garden. Now, granted I am a beginner and that garden just about whooped my butt. First, I picked out a spot in my yard where I wanted the garden to be. Then I went and picked up some plants of seeds of different things that I want to plant. I started working on the plot of dirt that I had selected using a shovel, rake and hoe. Let me tell you, trying to chop up that grass, as thick as it is, with just a garden hoe has me all kinds of sore today.




As you can see in the picture above, the grass is really thick. I started at the top left corner and was going to try and hoe it in sections, but that was really hard to do. I have a brand new respect for people who had to actually do this before tillers were invented.






As you can see in the picture above, after I borrowed my dad's tiller, it was so much easier. I took the tiller and went over that patch of ground three times. Now, I have to get the rest of the grass out and then add my planting soil.

The absolute best thing about working outside yesterday was the feel of the dirt between my toes and fingers. It reminded me of when I was a girl and would play outside all day with my brothers and we would come in at the end of day covered in dirt from head to toe.

I have decided I am going to use this garden to heal my wounded heart. With every chop of the dirt, every seed that I plant, I am going to let go of the anger that I have in my heart towards people that I feel have wronged me. Because if I have hate in my heart, it will only consume me.


2 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to yard work and gardening. ((lol)) My crowd won't eat enough things from a garden to do one!

    What did you plant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, butter beans, snap beans, corn, strawberries and sunflowers. I'm going to be very busy.

    ReplyDelete