Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Good Doctor - My Review












As the parent of a child on the Autism Spectrum I like to watch movies or read books that portray autistic people. The reason I do this is so I can have a better understanding of how autistic people think. I have also gotten into reading blogs of autistic adults that share their point of view on a variety of topics. 

Last night ABC aired a program called "The Good Doctor". I was excited about watching this new drama to see how autism is portrayed. One of the first things about the show I disliked is the good doctor is a savant. Why must all autistic individuals be portrayed as savants? That is not the case in real life.

What I did like about the show is the way different aspects of the interpersonal relationships between the good doctors parents, other children and his sibling were portrayed. He and his brother got along very well. His brother "looked out" for him and protected him from the cruelty of others. The screaming match between the parents made me cringe a little because it rang true. It showed the good doctor remembering being bullied and what that felt like for him.  

Another part of the show that I liked was how he noticed the small things. He noticed how he was treated and didn't understand why. Or how different abstract objects have a smell like the copper pipes or how the rain makes everything smell different. The stemming he does with his hands. These are the characteristics that make sense to me as an autistic parent. 

It looks like it will be the typical medical program with gorgeous leading men and women, steamy affairs and such. Will the premise of the show somehow get lost in the shuffle of all that? I will tune in and see if this program hooks me because so far I am skeptical but hopeful.





No comments:

Post a Comment