Thursday, September 14, 2017

Hunger - Book Review









I was browsing through the library a few days ago and this book caught my eye. When I began to read it, I could not put it down. Roxane Gay writes a memoir of her body and I felt she could have been writing about my body. She begins her book by stating that this story is the story of her body and it is her body's truth.  

To me, she was saying that in our society fat people are not accepted. As women, we are told to sit with our docile little hands in our docile little laps and not take up space. The societal norm is that we women were put here for the enjoyment of men or rather we should be pleasing to look at. To me, a prime example of this is the "shaming" culture that we live in. 

To further illustrate: The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with her third child right now. She is being shamed all over the internet for choosing to have another child, after having consensual sex with her husband. If she doesn't gain enough weight while pregnant she will be shamed, if she doesn't lose the weight after the baby fast enough she will be shamed, if she looks to skinny she will be shamed and if she comes out of the hospital and doesn't cover her bump up after having the baby she will be shamed. Why?

Another example of this is my best friend. After she had her second child her boyfriend told her she better lose the weight she gained while pregnant. She wouldn't eat all day, then would drink a Dr. Pepper and I would be riding in a car with her and I remember her stopping every fifteen minutes or so to vomit!

This book has really made me think about how I see my body. Go out today and check this book out at your local library. It is interesting, raw, uncensored and truthful.

No comments:

Post a Comment