Monday, February 22, 2016

The Final Cut




I am very upset about the state of some of my friendships. Having friendships with women has always been hard for me. I can count on one hand the women I am friends with. As you all know I got divorced last year. My ex-husband is best friends with my girlfriends husband and they all work together. I keep getting invited to birthday parties that they have or social gatherings but my ex is invited too. Clearly, I do not go because I don't want to force some awkward social situation when I could avoid it all together. I actually had a mutual friend tell me I shouldn't let him being there stop me from going or ruining my friendships with everyone else. Really? I was friends with all of you guys before I ever married him.

I know, I know, we are all grown ups and should be able to socialize without tempers flaring or major drama but I can't bring myself to socialize with him and the new wife. I don't want to! So I usually lie and say I have other stuff to do when I don't. This friendship is in the beginning stages of dying a natural death. Soon, because I don't show up to these social functions, I will stop getting invitations and the closeness of the friendship will drift away. We will still be friends but I'm not going to put any kind of effort into it. 

This is completely one-sided. I haven't spoken to her to tell her how I feel because I just haven't. What's the point?




No comments:

Post a Comment