Friday, January 8, 2016

Building An Autism Community



This is a clay molding that my son made for his dad. If you look closely you can see that it is a house standing on the side of a mountain. Isn't it lovely? 

I have been trying with some luck to organize a chapter of the Autism Society of NC for the county that I live in. Well, sort of. I have spoken with the Autism Society of NC but I am thinking of forming my own non-profit. I am not sure if I want to be associated with them directly. There is a lot of research to be done and I am following a lot of promising leads for starting an organization in my county. My cousin Randolph suggested reviewing surveys about autism for my county and surrounding counties, which we did together. There is so much need here. 

I have figured out why resources are limited. There is no one to take the lead, and if someone does take the lead, they have to invest a ton of time and money to get things going in a manner that will help the community. No one seems to be reaching out, it is like everyone has either given up hope or they are waiting for someone to hand something to them so they don't have to do any work. To me, the only way this "idea" of mine will get off the ground is if we all work together for the greater good. Am I missing something? What can I do differently? How do you reach people that feel like everyone had given up on them?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment