Monday, September 14, 2015

Believing In Miracles


I believe that miracles can happen when you least expect it because I received one yesterday. 

Sunday started out as another ordinary day. The sun was shining, there was a cool breeze and you could smell autumn in the air. It was one of those beautiful days when you walk outside turn your face up to the heavens and breathe deeply and bask in the light of the sun. 

I got up and went to the local watering hole for breakfast which was very good, ran into a couple of friends and chit chatted for a bit, found a battery for my camera (automatic - it's not made anymore) and waited for my children to come home from their weekend visitation. 

My miracle is my son, my youngest. His name is Robert. He was diagnosed to be on the Autism Spectrum before he was even five years old. I kid you not, the first five years of his life I cried everyday. I cried for many reasons...the main reason being how cruel people in the world can be. How will society understand my child when I don't understand my child? Selfish tears. But being the boss mom that I am I enrolled him in therapy and so on and so forth. When he began to take speech therapy the best sound in the world was his voice. It took 3 years to hear it and it was the most beautiful sound in the world. 

He hugged me yesterday! He actually reached out to me and pulled me in close for a hug! Do you know how long I have waited for that moment? He does give me love, but he hugs me with his back or just leans on me for a quick second. I am okay with that because that is all he can give, I do believe it is a sensory issue. Some kids on the spectrum do not liked to be hugged. That moment, that hug, that miracle was worth the eleven years I have waited for it. 

Don't be sad for him or feel sorry for him. He is so smart and I know he is going to do great things with his life. I know this because I am his mother and I will continue to push him lovingly to do his best. Maybe he will be an inventor, or a scientist, or run a pizza joint. He tells me all the time about how he wants to open a pizza restaurant and have animatronic type things at the establishment and he tells me how I can work for him.

That is my miracle, my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment