Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy vs. Cervical Cancer



This is an important post to me because cervical cancer or any type of cancer is no laughing matter. There are so many women that suffer through this type of cancer and usually there are no symptoms until the disease has progressed. It is so important that we as women take care of our pelvic organs and have the necessary examinations to "catch" this cancer before it progresses. 

I received a call from my Doctor a couple of days ago and was a bit terrified because he NEVER calls me. My Doctor told me that I could not have another LEEP done and that I would need to have a partial hysterectomy. The partial hysterectomy does not have to take place tomorrow or next month because the dysplasia is slow progressing, but next year at my 6 month follow up we will get a plan in place to take care of this before it gets worse. I have been having an issue with CIN III, which is high grade cervical dysplasia, and this is the stage before it turns into cervical cancer. 

A partial hysterectomy is the removal of the cervix and uterus but leaves the ovaries intact. I am very happy about that because I will not have to take estrogen and I will not have a menstrual period anymore. I am so looking forward to that. In the meantime, I am doing lots of reading about hysterectomies as to educate myself about the surgery and the healing time after.

I realize this is sensitive information but there are women out there in this great, big world that are not having yearly check ups or not going to the Doctor because they do not have health insurance. The fact that this is happening in the 21st Century is astounding!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment