Wednesday, May 13, 2015

NC State Bar Certified Paralegal

Today I thought I would give a tutorial of sorts on how to become a NC State Bar Certified Paralegal. I love that title, it sounds important. 

Thirteen years ago, when my oldest son was born, I decided to return to college. I had been before, but only took college transfer classes. I had always thought I would be a lawyer, but as you know, life can kind of get in the way. As I was perusing college courses in the local community college's manual, I found the information for becoming a paralegal and found it interesting. So I signed up.

Between working, being married and raising children it took me 6 years to get my two year degree. There were times when I would actually sleep in my car between classes because I was so tired. But I did it. I earned my Associates Degree in Paralegal Technology. 

Once I earned the degree, it was time to sit for the exam to become certified. Now, in North Carolina you do not have to sit for this exam. I chose to do so because I was serious about this being my chosen profession and it would look good on a resume. 
I was really nervous, but I passed the exam and now instead of just using the title of paralegal, I can use the title NC State Bar Certified Paralegal. As a certified paralegal I have to take 6 hours of continuing education with one hour focused on ethics each year to keep my certification up to date. 

After I graduated college and became certified, I went back to college to earn my bachelors degree in paralegal studies. It only took me 2 years to earn a 4 year degree. I was actually able to do all my classes online and the college was ABA approved. Meaning American Bar Association approved.  If the paralegal program at any school is not ABA approved, do not take it. You are wasting your time. 

If you have any questions, please leave them in the comment box below. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment